Thursday, May 27, 2010

Jann organ of the Frauenkirche in München


Today's organ and choir loft was built in 1993 by Carl Theodor Horn. The cathedral has a total of four Organs, all of the workshop Jann organ from Allkofer (Laberweinting/Lower, South of Regensburg).

Franz Lehrndorfer (1928)

Improvisation on "Lobet den Herren alle, die ihn ehren"
1. Erster verse
2. Zweiter verse
3. Dritter verse
4. Vierter verse

Franz Lehrndorfer at the Jann organ of the Frauenkirche in München

The main organ

On the West gallery a four manual Main organ of 95 Registers was built during the restoration of the cathedral in 1994. The main organ is stylistically to the works of Baroque and Romance designed. It has a solid console with mechanical action and also an identical console on the choir level. The organ has a total of nearly 9900 pipes, and special registers such as a Carillon (Shell bell) and a Carillon (Röhrengocken). The Prospectus architecture was the model of North German organs such as the Stellwagen organ St. Mary's in Stralsund designed.

Because of the enormous power of the sound in tutti (Hauptwerk mixtures) is very northern German, nevertheless the instrument has very fine French tongue choirs in the Swell. In particular, the flutes, which are represented in large numbers because of their color richness, deserve special attention. The room acoustics, which is typical for large cathedrals, the majestic sound of the organ does not display any faster tempos.

The DomBest of IgoUgo

The Dom
The Frauenkirche ("Dom zu unserer Lieben Frau" - Cathedral of Our Lady), or Dom as most visitors know it, is the most famous building in the city center and serves as the cathedral for the Archdiocese of Munich and Freising. It is particularly famous for the brass onion domes that top the twin towers and which have become the symbol of Munich. The domes were added in the 16th century, in a style that contrasted with the Gothic style of the rest of the building. The original design, apparently, called for pointed towers like Cologne Cathedral but they were never completed due to lack of money.

The monumental late Gothic brick church has shaped Munich's skyline for 500 years. The towers are not only an impressive sight but the south tower is also accessible via an elevator. When you look at the church, the two towers appear to be the same height but in fact one is slightly taller than the other. Unlike most buildings in Munich's old town, the towers of the Frauenkirche (but not the church itself) survived WW2 intact, making them more than 500 years old. The Frauenkirche's towers (99 meters and 100 meters) are also the measurement for a rule which limits the height of new buildings to the same height in the city. This rule was passed in November 2004 by the people of Munich in a referendum.

The foundation stone of the building was laid by Duke Sigismund in 1468. The church is huge but simple and is a ‘must-see’ when visiting Munich. Its central location just a few meters from the Town Hall means that you cannot miss it. Much of the original Gothic interior has been destroyed or removed partially by contra-reformists. An unusual feature of the building is that when viewed from the porch, the aisles and side windows are invisible, the octagonal pillars of the nave having the appearance of a wall; at one time the window of the choir was also obscured by the high altar.

The cathedral houses an elaborate 15th-century black-marble tomb guarded by four 16th-century armored knights. It's the final resting place of Duke Ludwig IV (1302-47), who became Holy Roman Emperor Ludwig the Bavarian in 1328. The Frauenkirche's great treasure, however, is the collection of 24 carved wooden busts of the apostles, saints, and prophets above the choir, made by the 15th-century Munich sculptor Erasmus Grasser. Don’t leave without seeing these.

Improvisation on "Lobet den Herren alle, die ihn ehren"
5. Fünfter verse
6. Sechster verse
7. Fuge, Choral

Franz Lehrndorfer at the Jann organ of the Frauenkirche in München


I Rückpositiv Ca3
Quintade 16'
Praestant 8'
Voce umana (ab c0) 8'
Rohrflöte 8'
Quintade 8'
Octave 4'
Hohlflöte 4'
Sesquialtera 2 2/3'
Superoctave 2'
Flautino 2'
Quinte 1 1/3'
Sifflöte 1'
Scharff IVVI1'
Cymbel III 1/3'
Trompette 8'
Cromorne 8'
Clairon 4'

II Hauptwerk Ca3
Praestant 16'
Gedeckt 16'
Octave III 8'
Gambe 8'
Flûte harmonique 8'
Quinte 5 1/3'
Octave III 4'
Flauto 4'
Terz 3 1/5'
Quinte 2 2/3'
Octave III 2'
Mixtur major VIVIII 2'
Mixtur minor IV 1'
Cornet V 8'
Trompete 16'
Trompete 8'
Horn (durchschlagend) 8'

III Positiv Ca3
Gemshorn 16'
Praestant 8'
Bourdon 8'
Octave 4'
Blockflöte 4'
Nazard 2 2/3'
Doublette 2'
Tierce 1 3/5'
Larigot 1 1/3'
Mixtur V 1 1/3'
Obertöne II 2/7'+ 8/9'
Dulcian 16'
Schalmey 8'
Clarinette 8'
Glockenspiel c1d3
Carillon Cf2

IV Schwellwerk Ca3
Gambe 16'
Bourdon 16'
Diapason 8'
Flûte traversière 8'
Bourdon 8'
Aeoline 8'
Salicional 8'
Unda maris (ab A) 8'
Octave 4'
Flûte octaviante 4'
Nachthorn 4'
Viola 4'
Quinte 2 2/3'
Octavin 2'
Tierce 1 3/5'
Piccolo 1'
Progressio harm. IIV 1 1/3'
Plein-jeu IV 2'
Basson 16'
Trompette harmonique 8'
Hautbois 8'
Vox humana 8'
Clairon harmonique 4'
Carillon Cf2

Chamadewerk Ca3
Chamade 16'
Chamade 8'
Tuba 8'
Trompeta quinta 5 1/3'
Clairon 4'

Pedal Cf1
Principalbass 32'
Violonbass 32'
Principal 16'
Violon 16'
Subbass 16'
Quinte 10 2/3'
Octave 8'
Bassflöte 8'
Cello 8'
Octave 4'
Offenflöte 4'
Bauernflöte 2'
Hintersatz IV 2 2/3'
Bassmixtur VI 2'
Bombarde 32'
Posaune 16'
Fagott 16'
Trompete 8'
Feldtrompete 4'

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Grote Kerk Dordrecht 1855 Kam Organ

Grote kerk Dordrecht interior

Grote kerk Dordrecht exterior


Even in the Middle Ages the church had an organ. This is confirmed in financial accounts from 1490 which show payments to an organist. It was not so much organ music to which the church council objected, but rather some “light hearted” playing. This was probably due to the organists who, now and again, played non-religious pieces.

When the pulpit was moved to the nave in 1597, the first organ was also moved to the southern transept, approximately opposite its original position.

In 1614 the organ builder Aelbert Kiespenning of Nijmegen was contracted to build a new organ that would be located on the east wall of the southern transept. This organ was approved by the famous organist Jan Pietersz. Sweelink of Ansterdam.

A lead singer was appointed in 1611 to support congregational singing. Organ music was banned temporarily from church services but after 1638 the singing of psalms was once again accompanied by the sounds of the organ. The organ once again regained its rightful place in services, but technically no longer met requirements. In 1671 the organ builder Nicolaas van Hagen received a contract to build a new instrument. In spite of protests from the Guilds that the money could be better spent, he made preparations in his home town of Antwerp and commenced the project.

Lack of money and the war against France caused progress to be slow. By 1674 the work was only half completed. However, to have stopped at that point would have been a senseless waste of money. The only alternative was to borrow more money and in 1675 Nicolaas van Hagen was again fully employed on this work. After that date his name is no longer mentioned in historic documents. Carel Jacobsz. Pellereyn, organ builder of Dordrecht, finally completed the building of that organ.

In 1762 the organ casing was fitted with new carvings in rococo style, with the exception of the Arms. The carving and Arms were painted white and the oakwood organ casing received a mahogany colouring. In this way the organ formed a unity with the nave.

About 1855, however, the organ had fallen into such disrepair that it was decided to build another organ, to be placed in the existing casing. The new organ, now located at the north western end of the building, was built by the organ builder Kam of Rotterdam and was inaugurated by the then current Minster organist, Gijsbert Izaäk de Vries.

Except for some minor changes, the current organ still has its original specification.

Grote kerk Dordrecht exterior and interior
Kam organ Tourist concert organist Arjan Teeuw.

Everhard Zwart plays "Toccata in D" from R.L. Becker
on the Kam-organ of the Grote Kerk at Dordrecht (Holland).

Opening part (Grands Jeux) from Jean Langlais' Suite Brève (1947)
performed by Margreeth de Jong on the 1859 Kam-organ
of the Grote Kerk in Dordrecht (The Netherlands).

Improvisation Grote kerk Dordrecht Piet van Egmond

The Bells of Dordrecht Cathedral, Netherlands.

On Friday September 26th the Change Ringing Peal in Dordrecht was officially opened. After a full day of concerts and demonstrations the Saturday after our Carilloneur Boudewijn Zwart, never without energy, invited all the English ringers in the tower for a ring on the big bells. He also took them to the carillon and improvised on God save the Queen. It was impressive for all of us!!
This Cathedral has 67 bells. 6/67 used for peal bells. The big bell of this cathedral is the greatest of the Netherlands. The weight of the 6 peal bells is:



Prestant 16'
Gedekt 16'
Prestant 8'
Roerfluit 8'
Holpijp 8'
Octaaf 4'
Roerfluit 4'
Quint 3'
Octaaf 2'
Gemshoorn 2'
Mixtuur 3-5 st.
Cornet D 5 st.
Trompet 16'
Trompet 8'
Klarinet 4'


Bourdon 16'
Prestant 8'
Gemshoorn 8'
Salicionaal 8'
Bourdon 8'
Octaaf 4'
Gemshoorn 4'
Quint 3'
Octaaf 2'
Mixtuur 2-4 st.
Cornet D 5 st.
Trompet 8'
Dulciaan 8'


Baardpijp 8'
Holpijp 8'
Viola di Gamba 8'
Quintadeen 8'
Salicionaal 4'
Open Fluit 4'
Gedekt 4'
Nazard 3'
Woudfluit 2'
Carillon 3 st.
Schalmei 8'
Vox Humana 8'


Subbas 32'
Principaal 16'
Violon 16'
Subbas 16'
Octaaf 8'
Gedekt 8'
Quint 6'
Octaaf 4'
Bazuin 16'
Trombone 8'
Trompet 4'

koppelingen Man-Pos

tremulanten Pos, BW

afsluiters Man
Pos, Bw en Ped

435 Hz

Temperatuur: evenredig zwevend


Het Manuaal is voorzien van Barkerhefbomen

Blog Archive